BCA Course and Specialisations: The Ultimate Guide
BCA or Bachelor of Computer Application
BCA is the acronym for Bachelor of Computer Applications. A BCA course has a holistic approach toward the technology application level. It is one of the minimum degree certifications one requires to enter the technology world.
The rise of the digital era will increase job opportunities for a person with a BCA degree. A BCA course is 3 years or 6 semesters long and is one of the most popular courses for candidates who want to pursue a career in the field of Information Technology.
BCA has a training module handling advanced concepts of Information Technology and Computer Applications. The BCA course offers to impart knowledge on computer applications and solve queries related to Computer Science or its applications.
Subjects including programming languages like JAVA and C++, Fundamentals of Computers, Networking, Multimedia Systems, Web-Based Application Development, Data Structure, Web Designing, and so on are added to a BCA course.
Subjects and Specialisations in BCA Course
Following are the subjects included in the BCA training module and the BCA specialisations currently offered by various institutes.
- Accounting Applications
- Computer Graphics
- Cyber Law
- Personal Information Management
- Internet Technologies
- Programming Languages
- Systems Analysis
- Music and Video Processing
Entrance Exams for BCA
Here are some of the entrance exams in India you need to attend to join a BCA course.
- Management Aptitude Test (BU MAT) by Bharatiya Vidyapeeth University, Pune
- Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET) by Symbiosis International University
- Lucknow University Computer Science Admission Test (LUCSAT)
- Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test (IPU-CET) by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
- AIMA UGAT by All India Management Association
- North Maharashtra University Undergraduate Common Entrance Test (NMU UGCET)
- RAMA University Entrance Test (RUET) by Rama University, Uttar Pradesh
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning Admissions Test (SSSIHLAT)
- Gitam Science Admissions Test (GSAT) by Gitam University
Skills Required for BCA
You should have a particular skill set to complete a BCA course. Here are some of them.
- Interest in acquiring knowledge of Computers and IT
- Ability to develop applications for practical aspects
- Analytical Thinking
- A clear understanding of the concepts of database
- Sound knowledge of programming
- Efficient communication skills
- Creative and Innovative ability
- Ability to work in a team
Eligibility for BCA Course
The candidate who aspires to join BCA must fulfil the eligibility criteria. It might differ from college to college or university to university. The criteria are:
- The candidate must study commerce or equivalent subjects in their 10+2 boards from any recognized boards.
- The candidate should have a minimum of 50% or above aggregate marks.
- Some universities consider the marks scored by the candidates in their specific entrance tests.
- If the candidate wants to study BCA abroad, then they should take SAT and ACT exams and submit the scores to universities in countries like the USA. Also, they may be asked to submit language proficiency scores.
Important BCA Course Subjects
Some of the important subjects that you should study to pass BCA qualification are:
- Fundamentals of Computers
- Operating Systems
- C Programming
- Multimedia Systems
- Data and Database Management Systems
- Web-Based Application Development
- Understanding Organisational Behaviour
- Computer Lab and Practical Work
Other than the core subjects, the BCA degree also has some open elective courses. You can opt for any of them during different semesters. Some of the popular electives are:
- Computer Graphics
- Cloud Computing
- Digital Marketing
- Gaming and Animation
- Data Mining
- Agile Frameworks
BCA Course Admission Process 2022
If you qualify for the eligibility criteria mentioned by the institute and understand the BCA course details, you can apply for admission to this program via both online and offline applications.
Keep the below-mentioned information in mind while applying for a BCA course.
- Obtain the BCA application forms from the Admissions Office or the Institute’s official website.
- Fill in the application form carefully, and upload it with the relevant documents.
- Take the specific entrance exam the educational institute demands to get admission in BCA Entrance-Based Admissions. If passed, candidates may be invited for a group discussion and personal interview.
- The final allotment of seats will be made after combining the results and formulating the rank list.
Top Colleges for BCA in India
BCA courses are offered by a number of colleges and hence sometimes it becomes difficult to choose the best college from them.
Here is the list of some of the popular BCA colleges in India.
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research, Pune
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Vellore Institute of Technology
- Madras Christian College
- PSG College of Arts and Science
- Guru Nanak College
- Amity Institute of Information Technology
- Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES)
- Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies
Top Colleges Offering BCA Abroad
Many of the institutes abroad offer comprehensive BCA programs and great opportunities to gain industrial exposure. Some of the institutes are have been listed below:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- University of Cambridge
- Harvard University
- Cornell University
- University of Michigan
- University of California – Berkeley
- Carnegie Mellon University
- The University of Texas – Austin
- University of Toronto
- University of Warwick
- University College London
- University of Birmingham
Scope of BCA
Once the degree is completed, you can choose career streams which include self-employment.
You could sell your services to companies or individuals. MNCs offer job opportunities to BCA graduates at the beginner level. However, for good growth in the career and a better pay scale, you should improve your skills after graduation by opting for any specialisation course.
There are various career options you can pursue after BCA. Some of them include pursuing MCA (Masters in Computer Application)/MBA (Master of Business Administration)/MIM (Masters in Information Management) or becoming a data scientist or becoming a digital marketer or choosing your path in teaching. With a BCA degree, you can become a Computer Programmer, Software Developer, System Security Officer, System Engineer, System Security Officer, Software tester, etc.
Sunstone is a leading higher education services provider that works with academic institutions in upskilling students for employability. Sunstone offers career-oriented training interventions for undergraduate and postgraduate students at 40+ institutions across 30+ cities.
Sunstone’s training programs are industry-endorsed to enhance employability. These programs are designed for hybrid delivery with an unparalleled focus on soft skills and personality development. Sunstone’s focus is to provide students with a holistic educational experience.